Online PhD Degree Programs – Online PhD Criminal Justice
Online PhD in Criminal Justice – Background
In the study of Criminal Justice, a PhD has many titles and abbreviations because of the different types of Online PhD in Criminal Justice programs.
First of all, there are two types of terminal degrees – one for research and one for professional practice. Then there are the different branches of Law where a student can get the type of doctorate he desires. Before deciding to get a doctorate through distance PhD programs, prospective students are advised to reflect on his desired career path. The three branches of Law are:
1. Law enforcement – for police officers, detectives and investigators
2. Adjudication – for lawyers, judges, and court matters
3. Corrections – which refers to jails, prisons, and parole programs.
Online PhD in Criminal Justice – Branches and Types
Under Law Enforcement, a student can either choose to get a PhD in Law Enforcement, a PhD in Investigation, or become a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) in Criminal Justice. A PhD in Criminal Justice is categorized under the Adjudication branch because many lawyers and judges take this course, but a person with a title like this could use his knowledge to teach criminal justice to law enforcement students in college. Finally, a PhD in Human Services Criminal Justice handles the theory and reality of crime. As a course that studies how communities are affected by crime, this falls under the Corrections branch of law practice.
And that is the simplified explanation. If a student wishes to have a research doctorate in Law, he will have a title of Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Juridical Science (JSD), or Scientiae Juridicae Doctor (SJD), depending on the country that bestows the title. A professional doctorate in Law is called a Juris Doctor (JD) degree. So, a student could choose between a JSD or a JD, for instance, in Law Enforcement. As mentioned earlier, his choice will depend on his chosen career path. A JSD in Law Enforcement is awarded to someone who studies law enforcement for the sake of further improving the branch, while a JD in Law Enforcement is awarded to someone who wants to further his career as a law enforcement agent. As in all doctorate courses, it will take between 3 to 4 years, depending on the student’s capabilities and provided that he already has a Master’s degree or its equivalent.
Importance of accreditation and Online PhD in Criminal Justice
Online PhD in Criminal Justice programs may or may not be accredited by local state legislature. It would be wise to make a careful research before embarking on one such PhD Criminal Justice program. There are several universities in UK and around the globe offering accredited online PhD in Criminal Justice including University of Portsmouth.
Most Popular Pages
- A Doctoral Degree Earned At Home
- Choosing The Right Online Doctorate Program
- A Safer Way To Earn A Degree Online
- Online PhD UK-PhD by publications in UK universities
- Online PhD UK-University of Nottingham
- Online PhD UK - Distance PhDs in UK Universities
- Online PhD Degree Programs-Colorado State University
- Online PhD Degree Programs - Boston University
- Online PhD Degree Programs-Michigan State University
- Online PhD Degree Programs-Central Michigan University